- U.S. Air Force F-35As conducts first combat employment in support of Combined Joint Task Force — Operation Inherent Resolve. (April 30)
- F-35 industry partners transition to Performance Based Logistic contracts and Master Repair Agreements to reduce sustainment costs and enhance readiness. (April 17)
- The U.S. Air Force’s F-35A deploy to Al Dhafra Air Base in the United Arab Emirates – marking the Air Force’s first operational deployment to the Middle East with F-35As. (April 15)
- The National Aeronautic Association names the F-35 Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System Team as the recipient of the 2018 Robert J. Collier Trophy. (April 5)
- Japanese Air Self Defense Force stands-up first operational squadron. (March 29)
- The Republic of Korea’s first F-35s arrive home to Cheongju Air Base. (March 29)
- F-35 maintainers and pilots in the 388th Fighter Wing at Hill AFB, Utah complete the first operational rapid crew swap exercise, demonstrating the F-35’s reliability and enhanced readiness. (March 20)
- The Department of Navy declares Initial Operational Capability (IOC) for its fleet of F-35Cs. (February 28)
- The Republic of Singapore announce its plans to buy F-35 fighter jets to replace its aging fleet of F-16s. (February 28)
Cost Reductions Statistics:
- More than 60% reduction in Unit Recurring Flyaway cost since Lot 1.
- More than 5% reduction in Unit Recurring Flyaway since previous contract.
- Blueprint for Affordability efforts projected to save more than $6 billion over the life of the program.
- As production ramps and additional improvements are implemented, Lockheed Martin’s goal is to reduce the cost of an F-35A to $80 million by 2020, which is equal to or less than the cost of legacy aircraft while providing a generational leap in capability.
Program of Record
- 1,500+ top tier suppliers around the globe, including more than 1,400 U.S. and Puerto Rico- based suppliers.
- Final Assembly factories in Fort Worth, Texas; Cameri, Italy; and Nagoya, Japan
- Suppliers located in 45 U.S. states and Puerto Rico
- Over 220,000 direct and indirect jobs supported in the US
- Over $44.2 billion of total economic impact
*Planned delivery quantities beyond 2018 are approximate based on the current F-35 production profile.
All information current as of May 10, 2019